Sunday: Focus on the Savior

The most important decision I ever made in my life was the day I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. It is my goal that God receives all the glory for the blessings people may receive from following my blog. After following some other Christian bloggers, I was really encouraged to start directing more of my blog on the things of the Lord. Every day is the Lord's but I decided to especially dedicate Sundays with this new feature Sunday: Focus on the Savior. Each week I will have a different person share either their testimony with you or something that Lord has taught them in their Christian life.
Our first guest has been the greatest spiritual influence in my life. Her walk with the Lord is evident in her every day life and I couldn't think of a better person to start out this series than....my own mother! Bloggers, meet my wonderful mom, Jean!
Isn't she beautiful!


HE IS WORTHY

What did I do when I was told on May 24, 2000, that my husband had pancreatic cancer and only had six months to a year to live? I was in shock for a while. I can remember walking down the halls of the hospital numb. My mind was blank. All I could remember thinking is the word CANCER. CANCER. How can that be? That only happens to others. Certainly not to someone I know and love. This is not really happening. They made a mistake. After reality hit, I cried. I begged God to heal him. When I realized it was God's will to take him home to glory, all the Scripture I memorized came flooding back to my mind. (It is so important to read your Bible on a daily basis and memorize Scripture. You can't claim the promises if you don't know what they are.)

What did I do? I had a choice to make. All the notes I took when I was sitting under preaching and teaching of the word of God were either going to be real to me or I was going to close my ears to any further teaching and preaching and turn my back on God.  All the Scripture I memorized was either going to be tossed out the window, or I was going to have to believe what God was saying was true and that I could totally put my trust in Him.   I chose to trust Him. I clung to Proverbs 3:5-6  “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.” It was easier to trust Him then to lean on my own understanding. What did I do? I claimed the promise that His grace is sufficient. (II Cor. 12:9).

On Sunday, the 28th of January, 2001, my husband took his last breath and was standing before his Savior. The One he preached about. The One he told others about. My husband was no longer in pain.  On January 28th, my Savior was right there with me, comforting me, loving me, bringing His Word to my mind.  Have there been rough times since then?  Of course, but I chose to continue loving the Lord and praising Him because He is worthy to be praised.  I did not bury Christ when I buried my husband.  I went on living and continue living day by day with a wonderful Saviour, Jesus Christ, who told me He would never leave me nor forsake me.  His abundant grace, comfort, and mercy are able to get me through the pilgrimage He has chosen for me. 

May this day, and every day, be a day of worshipping and praising our Savior.  He is worthy.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love what your mom had to say. We really do find out how much we believe something when difficult things happen.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I don't really have the words to express how I feel about this post. Thank-you to Jean for sharing her story. It is so similar to mine. God is good and He remains the same. Thanks Misty for this post and I look forward to seeing more of them.

Adeline said...

I love the way you mom has held onto God despite your dad passing away.That takes true faith!
I think this should be a really interesting series.Am looking forward to it!=)
God Bless You!

nursegirl said...

Great idea for a series and and an excellent first post!

Mary Gene Atwood said...

What a beautiful post. So raw and real. Your mother is an inspiration.

Kristin said...

Wow, your Mom's words are very powerful and something I so needed to hear right now. I'm still struggling with my emotions and relationship with God at this point in my life after all that has transpired in the last year. I have always looked at it as why did he have to TAKE from ME, and instead your Mom's words have reminded me that there is another way to look at it and it is 180 degree different than the way I've been approaching it. So thank you Jean for sharing your words and your heart. Your strength and faith are an inspiration to me.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Thanks so much for this, Misty. I'm blubbering in tears. Thanks so much for beginning this feature. I look forward to it. God bless you.

Phil and Lydia Vine said...

Misty, this is awesome. Give your mom a hug for me. :)

Amber said...

Chills, chills....I am covered in them.

What a strong testimony and one that has encouraged my weary soul. Trust.....I must trust and believe that God is all knowing, all powerful, and all good.

thank you Jean for being a beacon of light!

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Amen Jean - thankyou for sharing your testimony and for that powerful promise that I rely and trust on so much too.

Sorry for leaving it so late to reply - I tried 4 times last night on my mobile device.

Cindy said...

i felt the tears come as i read your sweet mom's words. it's always powerful and encouraging when someone has been so tested in trusting and yet still shines so beautifully.